Sunday, August 23, 2009

Is Norton Anti-Virus enough to protect my computer?

Please don't reply telling me that you hate Norton, I don't want opinions on the product, I want answers from Anti-Virus users. I had Norton Internet Security and think of switching to Norton Anti-Virus 2008 w/ Antispyware, will this be enough? Or will I need more? I used a lot of internet connecting programs and know that it doesn't give you the input of blocking certain accesses.



Is Norton Anti-Virus enough to protect my computer?computer virus



More? You don't want more than one virus protection system running at the same time. Make sure you have a firewall if you are wireless.



Is Norton Anti-Virus enough to protect my computer?free spyware remover



I think Norton Security Center will serve you well. It's a good AV. You also need a firewall (Hardware and Software). For the former I'd use a linksys firewall router and for the latter, turn off the MS and the Norton Firewall and get a copy of Sunbelt Kerio Firewall for maximum protection all the way around. Norton centers antispyware is OK. You could also use Ad-Aware.
You probably do not need a newer version of Norton if you run updates on the one you have. Plus some of the Norton packages other then their basic antivirus are resource hogs and can slow your computer (depending on the PC). New web browsers have some of the security features that would come with Norton '08 antispyware. One that was recommended to my by both Verizon and Microsoft when I was on a conference call with their tech support, is Panda Antivirus. I'd never heard of it and was told it's the best. They even have a tool on their website called Active scan. It will scan your whole machine for viruses. When I used to use Norton products I would do this and often find that Panda found viruses Norton did not. You can always find their website by googling "Panda Activescan", but here's the link as well. If you run it will ask you to let it install a file. I swear on my yahoo account that it is safe. Give it a try! You might want to switch to panda! (No, I do not work for them)

No comments:

Post a Comment