Friday, August 21, 2009

Just curious:XP Home vs. XP Professional?

I know that Professional is better than Home, but is the Home OK for personal use? I have never come across a Home Edition, bcuz in India most use pirated XP Professional. I have one too, but I am going to change to genuine Home in 2 days(I want the MS updates). Can you please tell me all the features of Pro which are missing in Home? Also please rate both out of 10. Do I also need to genuine Office XP to receive the updates?



No advice on using loads of antivirus and antispyware and fiewall and antispam, please. I have a very good security on my PC.



Just curious:XP Home vs. XP Professional?virus scan



There isn't a lot of PRACTICAL difference for a home user between Pro and Home Edition. Contrary to popular belief, Pro isn't "better", it's just targeted to a different market with different needs. The biggest differences, that MIGHT matter to a home user, are that Pro has a greater range of permission sets that you can assign to files and folders and it also has the ability to encrypt files and folders. If you don't do any of those things, then Home Edition is really the better choice.



The only time I would really recommend Pro over Home Edition, for the typical user, is if you're using it on a laptop and you occasionally have to connect to a domain, as Home Edition cannot be DIRECTLY connected to a domain. (for most consumers this only matters if you have to connect to a domain at work from home or if you're a student and you have to connect to one at school.) Other than that, Home Edition is what you want. Home Edition is a subset of Pro, except with capabilities mainly used for businesses stripped out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment